Entering and transiting New Zealand

You may be travelling to New Zealand, or transiting, from a country that requires a visa or a New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority.
The Government has also introduced a managed isolation and quarantine process.

COVID-19 travel regulations

NZ entry visa requirements 

Find out if you need a visa and apply online.

Visitors from visa-waiver countries/regions must request a New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA) before travelling to New Zealand. If you are transiting through New Zealand to your final destination from visa-waiver countries/regions you will also require an NZeTA. Applications may take up to 72 hours to process.

  • To enter New Zealand with either a visa or NZeTA you will need to have a return ticket, or a ticket to another destination you're allowed to enter
  • You may need an NZeTA even if you haven't needed a visa or other travel authority to come to New Zealand in the past
  • The NZeTA allows Immigration New Zealand to carry out passenger screening in advance of travel. This means you won't be allowed to board your aircraft without the required valid travel documents (visa or NZeTA)
  • Your NZeTA is valid for two years, and once you have it you can use it as often as you like
  • You may require an NZeTA, even if you are transiting New Zealand to your final destination
  • For further information, and to apply for an NZeTA, we recommend you visit the official site at www.immigration.govt.nz

Travelling on a New Zealand or Australian passport?

  • You don't need a visa or NZeTA to enter New Zealand, when travelling on your New Zealand or Australian passport
  • New Zealand residents travelling on a foreign passport will need an endorsement of New Zealand citizenship in your foreign passport
  • Australian permanent residents are required to hold an NZeTA

Visiting New Zealand

The NZeTA is only available to those visiting New Zealand for up to three months. If you would like to stay longer, you can apply for a visa from New Zealand Immigration.

International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy

The New Zealand Government may also require you to pay an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL).

The IVL costs NZD $35 per person and is processed and payable when you apply for your visa or NZeTA. You will not be charged for the IVL if you are travelling on a New Zealand, Australia or Pacific Island (excluding Noumea and Tahiti) passport. 

Visiting another country during your time in New Zealand

You may be planning to visit another country after you arrive in New Zealand, and then return. For example, you could travel to Fiji, then return to New Zealand before flying home.

If you do, please take your final exit ticket with you during your trip outside of New Zealand. You'll need to show it before you can board your return flight to New Zealand.

Transiting New Zealand

Transiting New Zealand means you're just passing through. You'll land in New Zealand, but transfer to another international flight without leaving the airport. You may need a transit visa, even if you're not staying in New Zealand.

If you're from a visa waiver or transit visa waiver country you'll need an NZeTA, even if you're not staying in New Zealand.